Monday, June 25, 2012

Abs-olutly!

It's summer crunch time (pun intended..get it, crunch time...) and we are all hitting the pools, lakes, and beaches no matter where you live. Now here in Arizona the temps have hit an all time high topping out over 110 lately and it's all I can do not to live at the pool. Besides having a killer bikini it also helps to also have amazing abs. Now I have recently had back surgery so my muscle tone is not where I want it to be but in physical therapy one thing we are working on is my core, which will help me stabilize my spine. Beside the obvious benefit of my recovery, these moves are starting to give me some pretty sweet abs! 


41 and two kids
Still the best abs I have ever seen, I salute you, Gwen Stefani and your 6 pack!




Here are the ab exercises I have been doing the past couple weeks, and I have noticed a difference in my core strength, as well as definition in my abs area. I Highly recommend doing this routine 3x a week (it only takes 30 minutes). I personally like doing it right when I wake up with my friends from the Today show (love you Al Roker).


What you will need is a stability ball ( I have a 55") and a yoga mat.


Plank 

Place your elbows on the sides of the ball and roll your body away from the ball. Keeping your body at a straight plane (no dropping the butt or raising it up) hold the plank position for 30 seconds. Roll out your arms as a progression as you get stronger. Repeat this 2 more times for a total of 3x 30 seconds. 

Running Man

Place your hands on the sides of the ball and straighten your elbows. Again keeping your body at a straight plane, slowly bring in your right leg to a 90 degree angle, then back out again, then repeat with left leg. Concentrate on not moving your butt or back and bringing the legs up with the stomach. Do 20 on each leg three times. 

Side Plank

For this exercise you will need to put the stability ball in a corner. Then place your right or left elbow on the top of the ball. Lay on your side making sure your shoulder, hip, knees and ankles are in a straight line. Raise yourself up so you are using your abs on the side of your body. As a progression you can lift the opposite leg in the air (shown in picture). Make sure to keep body in a straight line and concentrate on using the side abs to hold you up.  3x 30 seconds on each side.

Reverse Curl

Lay down flat on your back and grasp the ball underneath your knees, place palms down on the mat. Make sure your back is completely flat and bring knees up holding the ball to 90 degrees. 


Still keeping the back flat bring the ball down so it just touches the mat, then bring it back up again. This is a very small motion but should work the upper core. Do this 20 times, then repeat two more times for a total of 3 times. 



No comments:

Post a Comment