Monday, May 7, 2012

Cha-Cha-Cha- Chia!

I recently picked up a copy of "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall after being told it would "completely change the way you think about running". After reading it I still preferred watching the real housewives to going for a jog, and realized that it must be meant for those who already enjoy running rather than those of us who keep trying to convince ourselves we do. Reading the book, although a bit boring, I did manage to pick up a pretty great health tip from these super runners.






Chia seeds. What the heck is that? Remember the chia pet, the original "as seen on TV" staple in the 90s? It's the hair on those crazy critters, well the seeds anyway. Chia seeds are part of the gelatinous goop you had to spread on the chia head to make it's hair grow. Turns out, those little black gems are a super, super food and super runners everywhere are making their own, natural energy drinks with them.
understated and classy


You can get chia seeds from a health store (no, you don't have to pay $19.95 plus shipping and handling) and make a pretty awesome energy drink, sans processed sugar and E-colors. (Sorry Gatoraid, even your emotionally inspiring commercials can't convince me of your health benefits... although they do make me feel guilty as I veg out by the TV, thanks for that.)


yummy...
The original health drink, as mentioned in the book is just 2 Tbs. Chia Seeds; a squeeze of lemon juice, and a dash of sugar all mixed in a tall glass of water. I just mix them with water though.


Admittedly, the drink looks a bit like sewage, but it doesn't really taste of anything. You just have to get over the seeds actually being there.


I often mix them in with smoothies and then it's no different than strawberry seeds.


Why Chia? Well, for their size and nutrient content, they are one of the most highly concentrated health foods you can eat. They've got everything from protein to essential minerals packed inside. Raw foods dieters eat them religiously and when I'm slimming down I double my intake by adding them to my water bottles to keep me energized without extra sugar during the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment